Labour and Social Affairs


Labour and Social Affairs

Photo: Adobe Stock

From 1 June, refugees from Ukraine who are in need of assistance will receive assistance and social benefits under the Social Code (Sozialgesetzbuch) rather than the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act (Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz), as was previously the case. The prerequisite for this is that they have been fingerprinted and photographed by the authorities and have applied for a residence permit for temporary protection; that they have subsequently been issued a provisional residence document (Fiktionsbescheinigung) or a residence permit for temporary protection; and that they meet the other requirements to receive basic income support benefits under Book II or Book XII of the Social Code.

In the case of people who have been issued a residence permit for temporary protection or a corresponding provisional residence document after 24 February 2022 and before 1 June 2022, but have not yet been fingerprinted and photographed by the authorities, it is sufficient for their data to be recorded in the Central Register of Foreigners (Ausländerzentralregister). In these cases, the individuals must then be fingerprinted and photographed by the authorities by 31 August 2022.

The shift to providing benefits under the Social Code will ensure that comprehensive assistance is available in future to secure living expenses, for health care, and for integration. To make it easier for refugees to integrate, it will be made clear that they can start working immediately, and residence restrictions will be relaxed, particularly in cases where refugees have found a job, are attending integration courses, or are taking part in continuing education or training. 

Sign language
The Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs offers information about social services and working in Germany in sign language for the hearing impaired.

Social Benefits

Can I receive social benefits in Germany?openMinimise

What do I need to do to start receiving social benefits?openMinimise

Do my family members automatically receive social benefits if I myself receive them?openMinimise

What benefits can I receive if I am in need of assistance?openMinimise

Is it possible to apply for benefits under Book II of the Social Code?openMinimise

Can I keep my own funds when I apply for social benefits?openMinimise

Labour Law

Am I allowed to work in Germany?openMinimise

 Am I allowed to undertake in-company vocational training in Germany?    openMinimise

Is there a minimum wage in Germany? How high is it?openMinimise

 Does the minimum wage apply to me?openMinimise

How long am I allowed to work per day?openMinimise

What do I have to pay attention to if I take a so-called “mini-job”?openMinimise

Do my professional qualifications have to be recognised for me to be allowed to work?openMinimise

Who can I contact if I have questions about labour law?openMinimise

What rules on occupational safety and health are applicable in Germany? Who can I contact about them?openMinimise

Job Help

Where can I go if I am looking for a job?openMinimise

Where can I get help if I still need to acquire certain skills before getting a job?    openMinimise

Can I get a job even if I don’t speak German?    openMinimise

Learning the language

Which language courses can I take? How can I apply for a language course?openMinimise

Where can I get books and learning materials to learn German without attending a language course?openMinimise