Accommodation and housing for refugees from Ukraine

Accommodation and housing for refugees from Ukraine

Since 1 June 2022, refugees from Ukraine who need help are eligible for social assistance under Germany’s Social Code (Sozialgesetzbuch), Book II. This means there are fewer requirements regarding your place of residence, and your local job centre or social benefits office (Sozialamt) may help you pay for your housing and heating, for example. This is why you, unlike people who have applied for asylum, are responsible for your own accommodation.

The online platform “Helfende Wände” helps refugees from Ukraine to easily find private accommodation that matches their needs. In partnership with the Federal Ministry of the Interior and Community (BMI) and the non-profit organization ProjectTogether, the platform run by Wunderflats is designed to alleviate the burden on host communities and to enable housing providers to offer private accommodation quickly and without bureaucracy. Find more information here .

If you know that you will be living in a flat on a long-term basis, you will need the following documents to register your residence at the Citizens’ Registration Office:
- passport or Ukrainian ID card  
- Arrival certificate, fictional certificate, registration certificate
- Tenancy agreement 
- Confirmation of moving in from the landlord
- If applicable, birth certificate for children, marriage certificate for married couples 

Finding a place to live in Germany: A guide for migrants PDF, 2 MB, not barrier-free

Back to guide