Language Support and Integration Courses 

Language Support and Integration Courses

The Federal Government would like to make it easier for you to arrive and feel at home in Germany. To this end, there is a range of offers open to you, even if it is not yet clear how long you will stay in Germany. An integration course will help you to find your way around in Germany: You will learn the German language and the most important things about German history, culture and the legal system. You will find applications and everything you need to know on this page.

List of documents needed to register for an integration course or a vocational language course 

- Passport or Ukrainian ID card
- Residence permit or certificate indicating the reception facility responsible for you (Anlaufbescheinigung), provisional residence document (Fiktionsbescheinigung), certificate of registration (Meldebescheinigung)
- Application for eligibility to enrol

For more information please visit BAMF-NAvI or ask your local agency responsible for integration issues.

How to apply for an integration course

Step 1: You must apply for admission to the integration course

Submit your application to the competent regional office of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF). You can find your local regional office by using BAMF-NAvI .

You can also go directly to an education provider that offers integration courses. They will help you to complete and submit the application. You can apply for admission to the integration course either by post or online.

Applying online

Please follow the link below if you wish to apply for admission online. The application wizard guides you through the application step by step (available only in German).

For the online application you need an electronic identity document to authenticate yourself with bundID:

  • Electronic residence permit
  • European identity card with online ID function
  • German identity card with online ID function

Apply for integration course online (available only in German)

Apply for exemption from integration course fees

Apply for travel allowance online (available only in German)

If you do not have any of these, make the application in writing by post.

  • Apply in writing

You can fill out the form on the federal portal

Offline application – Admission to the integration course (available only in German)

Offline application – Travel allowance (available only in German)

or you can download the form from the BAMF website and fill it in

PDF Application – Admission to Integration Course PDF, 246 KB, barrier-free , available only in German

PDF Application – Travel Allowance PDF, 80 KB, barrier-free , available only in German

  • In any case, print out the form and sign it.
  • Send the form together with copies of your required documents to the regional office of the BAMF responsible for your place of residence. 
  • Find a BAMF regional office
  • The BAMF will check your application and contact you if there are any questions or missing documents.
  • The BAMF will send you an qualification certificate (Berechtigungsschein) by post. This is your permission to attend, which you use to contact an educational institution that offers integration courses as soon as possible.

Step 2: You register with an education provider that offers integration courses.

  • If your application is successful, the BAMF will send you a qualification certificate by post. This qualification certificate is your permission to attend the course.
  • Contact an education provider in your area that offers integration courses as soon as possible. Find an education provider
  • Hand in your qualification certificate there. The education provider will help you to choose a suitable course. They will also tell you when the next course starts.

Find BAMF regional offices, integration courses and course locations
FAQ on online services of the integration courses section on the assistance portal Germany4Ukraine for refugees from Ukraine PDF, 186 KB, not barrier-free

Back to guide